Summer Internship is NOW FULL. Please check back in March 2020 for opportunities next year!
2019 BACT High School Summer Internship Program
We will have two sessions of our Summer Internship program for 2019. The dates are as follows:
June 10 – 14th 9:00am – 12:00pm OR 2:00pm – 5:00pm
This internship provides a hands-on opportunity to explore, learn and participate in a variety of scientific methods utilized in the environmental field.
Projects May Include:
Physical and biological stream monitoring and submission to Riverwatch database; authentic data collection and analysis of preserves; social media posting; invasive plant and native plant species identification; monarch habitat research.
Work outdoors in the field as well as indoors
Time Commitment: (1 week-select the week that works for you)
June 10- 14 M-F 9am –12pm OR June 10-14 M-F 2pm – 5pm
The internship provides invaluable experience for your college resume as well as insight into possible career opportunities. You will be learning a variety of scientific methods utilized in the environmental fields. While volunteer hours are not given for this experience, there are a large variety of other fun volunteer opportunities that are available. This internship experience is a learning experience and is unpaid.
Location: BACT office in town across from Jewel or one of our preserves.
BACT Office at the Barrington White House
145 W. Main Street, Suite 201, Barrington, IL 60010
Who is eligible?
To be considered, you must be:
- A current high school student, including incoming freshmen through seniors who graduate the spring immediately before the program
- Must commit to program dates and times
- As a final evaluation tool, potential participants are required to attend an informal interview.
- Applications due May 1st. A maximum of 5 students will be accepted for each session.
- Once selected, participants will be required to fill out a BACT liability and photo release consent form
- Free to BACT members
- Or $50 fee which includes BACT annual membership for one adult member of the family payable once notified of acceptance into the program. ($100 family membership also available.) – visit www.bactrust.org to join online or mail a check with this form payable to Barrington Area Conservation Trust.
*Please contact our office if your student requires financial assistance.
How to apply:
Use your application to tell us who you are. In particular, we want to know about your strengths, interests and experiences in these areas:
- Interest in ecology or environmental topics
- Experience and interest in spending time outdoors
- Leadership skills and/or responsibility
- Participation with extracurricular groups or volunteer organizations