Our 2017 BACT Summer Internship Is No Longer Accepting Applications!
High School Habitat Restoration Internships
To gain an understanding and experience with habitat restoration and stream monitoring through assisting with native plant installation and identification as well as invasive plant removal, monarch butterfly research and habitat restoration, Flint Creek stream monitoring, and stream data collection/reporting.
Projects May Include:
Work outdoors in the field as well as indoors
Invasive plant species identification and removal
Native plant installation and identification
Social media posting
Identification of macroinvertebrates
Physical stream monitoring/insect identification
Submitting Riverwatch data to national stream monitoring database
2 interns will be selected for June 5 – 9 M-F 9am – 12pm
2 interns will be selected for June 12-16 M-F 2pm – 5pm
While the internship is unpaid, it provides invaluable experience for your college resume as well as insight into possible career opportunities.
BACT Office at the Barrington White House
145 W. Main Street, Suite 201, Barrington, IL 60010
Who is eligible?
To be considered you must be:
- A current high school student, including incoming sophomores through seniors who graduate the spring immediately before the program
- Must commit to program dates and times
- Completed application must be received by April 15, 2017. Optional: Letter of recommendation from a teacher, coach or mentor. (Mail application and/or letter of recommendation to the address listed above.)
- As a final evaluation tool, potential participants will be asked to attend a brief informal interview at the end of April or beginning of May at the BACT offices in the Barrington White House.
- Once selected, participants will be required to fill out a BACT liability and photo release consent form.
Use your application to tell us who you are and why you would be a great candidate. In particular, we want to know about your strengths, interests and experiences in these areas:
- Leadership skills and/or responsibility
- Participation with extracurricular groups or volunteer organizations
- Experience and interest in spending time outdoors
- Interest in ecology or environmental topics